Saturday, September 16, 2017

birds of a feather

I wandered around Cerevisia a little bit, trying to make up my mind.  So many choices - stouts, ales, lambics - from so many places.  Finally, I settled on Beech Smoked Bock, mostly because of the label.
I've never smoked beech myself, but hey, Dutch...
It's a collaboration between two proven breweries: La Quince and Uiltje Brewing Company.  According to the label, the beer was actually made in the Dutch facilities, probably just with input from La Quince.  It seems they were tickled to find they had the same mascot.
It's kind of a watery brown, which makes me pause, but the head is abundant and fluffy, and the smell hints at something memorable.  The taste of smoked meat, bacon or some similar, greasy cut, is evident from the first sip.  There's a mild bitterness too, but mostly smooth smokiness.  As a bock, I expected a little more sweetness, but that beech smoking outweighs any of that.  Some smoked beers rely a little too much on the meatiness, but this one stays smooth and easily drinkable.  Probably not the best choice solo, but accompanied by some salty snack, or with a grilled meal, it could be an excellent choice.

Supplier: Cerevisia
Price: €3.70

No comments:

Post a Comment