Saturday, September 9, 2017

thoughts of the north

There's a new beer store in town!  You never know where or when they're going to pop up.  This one is on the smaller side, but with a good selection packed into its shelves and a friendly, helpful shopkeep.  I had a look around and picked up Nickle Brook Maple Porter, in a 473ml can.  Somehow that makes it even more Canadian, although I'm not really sure why.  I got shown all the other black beers in stock, including a black IPA, but those will have to wait for another day.  Tonight, it's time for something sweet.
It's a nice dark brown with a slightly beige head, not completely opaque.  The maple comes out in the scent, which is sweet and light, not very complex.  The taste hits with a mild bitter first, and then lets the sweetness filter through, even with a little tanginess at the end.  I was expecting something heavier, with a bigger piling on of syrupy flavor, but it's really a clean and refreshing taste without hammering on your tongue at all.  I had a brown ale a couple days ago that was more like what I thought I might get from this Maple Porter, I wish I could remember the brewery.  That was definitely a fall and winter beer, while this porter is an all-year sort.  It's not too light and spicy to be insubstantial in the dark of winter, but it's also a lighter weight and controlled bitter that won't knock you out in blazing summer nights.  Not what I expected, but not a disappointment at all.
I especially like how the ingredients end with "No additives. No preservatives. Just science!"  Because of course science has nothing to do with additives and preservatives

Suppler: Ruta 33cl.
Price: €5.40

No comments:

Post a Comment